Saturday 25 July 2015

Words I Want To Remember



I have been a bit of a rut lately.  Lost in the long list, busy rut. The words below have helped me see past the rut.  I am writing them here so I have them for next time the rut creeps up on me.  

What's The Hardest Thing About Being A Parent?

It isn't the sleepless night's, or the endless fights. It isn't the constant worrying about every last thing, or the constant pestering about every last little thing. It isn't the impact on your work life, your love life, Or your social life. It isn't the lack of money, the lack of time, or even the lack of anything approaching a life of your own.

It feels like it's all of those things, but it is none of them.

In the end, the hardest thing about being a parent is truly understanding that everything comes with a number. You get a certain number of bedtime stories, and a certain number of bedtime kisses. You get a certain number of roads they'll cross holding your hand, and a certain number of sports matches on a Saturday morning. You get a certain number of bike rides, and a certain number of bad jokes with no real punch line. Most of all...you get a certain number of hours.

One day you'll go to the bucket, and it will be empty.

So -- and I'm saying this as much to myself as to anyone else -- get as much as you can, of all that you can, for as long as you possibly can. It's the only score you'll get that will ever truly mean anything, and it's also also the hardest one to keep track of.

These words were text to me by a close friend and written by Nigel Latta from NZ. Thanks Nigel Latta for helping me see past the list and the busy.  I am going to see what other words of wisdom you have for me!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a sip of ice tea with us and leave a message!